Wednesday 30 January 2013

Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band….

It’s hard to keep track of the date here, but I suppose that happens at home too.  I do know it’s Wednesday though. Clementine is expected to visit SEMUS from Ouagadougou (can you all say this name now?).  I’m a bit nervous, as this will be the moment where I learn if my efforts are aligned with the formal part of my mandate and I am meeting the expectations of Uniterra.  But I’m also excited to share with Simon an unexpected gift.

I was sitting in the “salle de reunion”, my usual place of work, when I stepped outside to get something.  A bright white 4x4 drove into the courtyard; It was Simon, with his big smile, Clementine and one other person.   During the introductions I learned that this 3rd person was a Burkinabe national who was going to be assuming an 8 months  volunteer mandate in the coming weeks.  After introductions, I signalled to Simon that I wanted to meet him at the 4x4.  Sarah had given me an Ipod, filled with Beatles songs, for Simon.  I had also purchased a cigarette lighter charger, ear pieces and cassette adapter so he could use this in his vehicle.

Just a note on this Ipod.  This Ipod was very precious to me, because I had lost it for several days in my luggage.   As you can imagine, if you know me, Bev actually packed my bags.  Upon arriving in Ouagadougou I tore my suitcase apart several times trying to find this Ipod.  After being assigned my room in Yako, I again proceeded to search every crevice of those suitcases trying to locate this Ipod.  I had finally resigned to my self that I must have removed it just before leaving or even worse it had been stolen in transit.  At Bev’s suggestion I looked one more time.  Wouldn’t you know it, it was lodged in the pocket of one of my pants.

As I took Simon aside in the 4x4, I and proceeded to plug in the cassette adapter and Ipod.  There was a beautiful correlation between my increasing of the volume and the precious smile on this big guys face.  In between him repeating “Merci Sarah” and “Merci Dan”, Simon began to sing along to the Beatles song that was now filling the vehicle.  Quite a scene, because you see, the guy speaks french and Mooré (not a drop of English), but here I’m watching him as he sings “Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band” while tapping his feet on the floor of the car and clapping with his hands.  Pure and utter happiness.  Thank you Sarah for letting me be part of this moment.

I returned to the “salle de reunion” where Clementine, the Waterloo university students and several heads of departments were in a meeting.  It seems that Clementine was also here to get an update on their projects in addition to the introduction of the new volunteer.  I quietly took my place in the back of the room and continued working.  Thankfully Kevin gave me heads up (under his breath) that they were about to ask me for an update on my progress.

To my amazement, TAHO interjected and began to extol upon the group, that I was the first volunteer that was able to understand his real needs and begin to formulate an effective strategy.  He praised my independence and added that regrettably he was a not available to spend more time with me on account of his mission’s over the past 2 weeks to Ouahigouya.  From his perspective, within a few short meetings, I had discerned the need and proposed viable solutions including an approach to sustain the change.  Clementine appeared a little surprised and said something like, [“….and your not a stranger to volunteers being assigned to the accounting department”.].  At this point, I noticed Maurice (#2 leader at SEMUS) holding his shaking head in his hands staring at the floor saying something to the effect [“…It has not been easy to please TAHO, with volunteers”]. Ceasing the moment, with only a hint of trepidation that this might be a cultural “faux pas” that could bring this entire mission to a halt,  I gestured to TAHO across the large room, with a fist full of money, suggesting an appreciation for such a great review.  The room erupted with laughter.  Clementine then asked if I had anything to add and I tried my best to describe the approach I had taken and “mon plan de travail”.  They all nodded their heads and complimented me on the progress and novel approach.  I’m quite sure, many of colleagues back home would have approached things the very same way, but I’ll take the affirmation any day.  Clementine concluded with a compliment regarding the improvement she noted in my french since first arriving two and half weeks ago.

The morning meeting ended and Clementine asked for a recommendation on where to eat.  I suggested “La Chateau Bleu”.  This is by no means a “Chateau” in fact that isn’t even the real name but she laughed and proceeded to take the new volunteer there.  She invited me to join them for lunch (I think) but I had an engagement with a fellow on Ouahigouya road.   I picked up the first of my newly crafted e-reader covers. I was very pleased with the simple design.

Bev and I spent a good part of the day messaging back and forth, in the now vacant “salle de reunion”, while I prepared for tomorrow’s training session.  I have split the group into two different levels; fundamentals ( a polite way of saying “basic”) and the advanced.  On a quick exchange, with a colleagues back at work, I asked them if they thought I should begin preparing a lesson plan?  After all, I was about to deliver a training session in french to a group that i didn’t really know in a context that I have only occasionally allowed my self to think i understand.  She advised “Nah…Wing it…your good at that.”  I reflected that the job I have done in sizing the deliverable and holding to the strategy was solid.   It’s a balance between “what is needed” and “what can be done”.   A fairly good definition of Quality from my perspective.  If not Quality, then at least value.  There’s a big difference between being “Active” and being “Productive”.  By leaving things open, or some might argue “unstructured”,  you create a much wider vista, a broader canvas for creativity and return.  Creative solutions are the ones that “glow”.  Some people don’t get that. But to get truly “EXTRAordinary” results and experiences you can’t approach things in an “ordinary” structured way.  You can’t simply slap the word “extra” on to the front of the word “ordinary” to simply describe the outcome you are looking for.  You need to let it “live” in the approach as well….and that takes courage.

IMG_6440

As the white 4x4 rolled out of the compound with the new volunteer, Simon and Clementine, I stopped them for a minute and warned Clementine that she better like the Beatles, because I’ve now heard Simon sing and he’s quite good.  She laughed and said she LOVED the Beatles.  The stereo was cranked and I could hear the “The Yellow Submarine” playing, as I watched their heads bobbing back and forth.  The white 4x4 rolled out of the courtyard and on to our little sand swept road passed the donkey, goats, “la Chateau Bleu” and the proudly displayed Burkina Faso flag that still celebrates Burkina’s successful qualification in the African Nation Cup. 

Could it get any more real and magical than that?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment