Tuesday 15 January 2013

Off to Yako

I’m sitting in the Land Rover with Simon, Clementine and Adama.
The morning traffic reveals that motorcycles easily out number cars 75:1 and donkey carts 300:1.

We’ve been pulled over, just outside the city of Ouagadougou.  Apparently we were speeding.  We really weren’t going that fast.  Both Clementine and Adama are not happy at all with the police.  It’s very hard to follow the conversation when they get super animated.  “Il n’y a pas de PANEAU!!”.  I’m not sure what the word is for “money grab” but I get the sense they used it.   Adama has demanded to speak to the chief.  Simon the driver doesn’t seem to be in any trouble, so that’s good.  It all settles down with one more cry “Il n’y a pas de PANEAU!!” and we carrying on north.

While we drive along the highway and the number of trees in view begin to drop, the land flattens out, the variety of colors disappear and the word “safety net” whafs through my head,   I’m taking note of how my capacity to anticipate the future while consuming the present is being challenged.  ”What is” and “What is going to be” are becoming too much. (tough to write in a moving car.  it will be even harder to read this).  Go with “what is”…easier said than done.  It’s actually quite easy for me now, because of my unfamiliar environment and all the stimuli feeding my mind. Another way to say this is “enjoy the moment”.  With new experiences, we always strive to be completely aware of everything.  You’re taking it all in.  It must be quite something to be able to explore this state of mind, a level of awareness, without external stimuli.   To just be; sitting there and be aware of nothing but now.  To observe nothing but your yourself.  That must be…. way over on the other side of the self-awareness spectrum.  Imagine developing an approach where you really could take each moment, each experience as a fresh one.  I think it’s a choice not a technique.

As we wiz by small villages, which really look more like encampments we finally come to a sign that says “Poste de Yako”.   With a big smile on my face, my little internal voice says “no way…right on”.  This is in reaction to the 3 donkeys, 6 goats, and the persistence of motorcycles.


1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...if anyone was worried about you they can stop...I hear that Burkina Faso means "land of upright people"--they will find you very good company.

    ReplyDelete