Sunday 13 January 2013

600 meters and falling

8:40pm and it’s dark.It just feels like one long 36hr day; not long in a bad way just one full day.  From the window of the plane Ouaga looks like any other city; all lit up with main routes and maybe even parking lots.
I’ll see how “regular” it is, when I’m on the ground.
I love small airports, where you walk right onto the tarmac.  Made it through customs and collected my luggage without incident.  The only incident I was concerned about was if they asked me something in french that I was not able to answer.  The airport inside reminds me of the Kelowna or Moncton airports.  Simon greeted me and we quickly began the Ouaga experience.
He took me to an outdoor cafe, not far from the airport, for something to eat.  The “kid” who guided our land rover into its spot, seemed to have a rifle slung over his shoulder. This all happened pretty quick, so I didn’t have a chance to tell Simon that all I really wanted to do was grab some sleep.  So in the end I just ordered a beer….et avec la bière…. tous mes amis français sais que mon français s'améliore  <<just kidding>> I only had one.
The ride through town was very interesting,  very hard to tell when you’re on a main route or some back alley.  For a late Sunday night, there were still allot of bikes racing around with no helmets, no nothing really….sandals, dresses, robes you name it; anything but protective gear.  The streets, even when paved, have a fair bit of red sand on them and they all seemed to be lined with market stalls ready to sell things, but it’s hard to say what.   Note, Simon confirmed this isn’t the market.
It will be interesting to see what things look like in the daylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment