Tuesday 15 January 2013

“Ecouter pour voir”…listen to see

Jan 15th
Arriving at SEMUS, the partner organization that I will be working with, I was introduced to several people. The names here are, or at least they seem me to be, incredibly long. Many of them seem to end the same way. It’s funny to see, when my “hommelogue” (counterpart) introduces me and says my name, how some of them just let their jaws drop open; especially with the last name “Ryan”. You can see them shake their heads while they role their eyes with a smile that says “…as if I will ever be able to say that one” they try and to my amazement it it seems to be as much of a challenge as saying “Ouagadougou” or “Ouahigouya” for us. I got the first one nailed now but the ability to say the second one is just developing for me.


TAHO is the Director of Administration and Finance (DAF), took me on a tour of the SEMUS operations. First stop was the Clinic. The clinic supports those afflicted with HIV/AIDS through, amongst other things, testing, education and counselling. It’s through efforts like this that Burkina Faso has begun to make real progress. One source reports Burkina Faso’s infection rate dropping from 7% to 1%. Woman represent 56% of those infected. Next to the clinic is the “Bric-a-brac”. This is quite similar to our “Value Village”. Donations are received by a team of Burkinabés, who sort through the clothes, shoes, appliances, school bags, suitcases, you name it. They sort through and assign prices. Those items that need repair are worked on and prices are assigned. Apparently there is a kid here running around here with a Tim Horton’s soccer shirt. There is also a repair shop, armed with a sewing machine that repairs shoes and other leather goods. SEMUS also runs a cyber cafe and pharmacy. The pharmacy is run on a pay what you can model. Both of these are located next to the the SEMUS hostel. this is where I am living. It is a walled compound with a guard assigned to maintain the gate. The Bric-a-Brac, Repair shop, Cyber cafe, Pharmacy and hostel are all example of SEMUS’ intention to develop Yako from an economic perspective.


I think TAHO and I have connected and have a common understanding of what a valuable outcome looks like, from his perspective. We weren’t together long before, I took a chance and shared with him that I understood I would only be here for a very short period and that I was in no position to establish what would be valuable for him. I needed his guidance in focusing on real value. I told him that I was not here as an “expert” or that I had superior or advanced methods that I was here to deliver to him and his team. I was simply an extra set of hands that could help move forward a priority or capacity that he selected. I should be clear in that the “taking a chance” I referred to earlier is in reference to my language challenges. It’s fairly easy to nod your head and say “oui” or “non”, but when you try and have a heart to heart, things can veer off pretty quickly and you can get a response like “what the hell is this guy talking about?”. Actually, I get that at home a fair bit, even when I speak englishSmile. I could see in is facial expression that we had connected. Especially when I told him that I did not consider finance a “science” but an “art” he agreed by sharing that he considered it a “language”. I told him that long ago, as a Financial Analyst, a leader had told me that “you know you have found a good accountant when you ask them what 2+2 is and they answer…whatever you want sir”. That’s my kind of finance….it’s an art. In the end, he confided in me that the worst engagements were the ones where a PHd type comes in and starts directing them in priority and strategy. While I haven’t had the experience of working with PHd, in that manner, I could relate to the false attribution of authority and value.


It’s important to truly listen here. Not only to ensure you can overcome the language challenge, but to learn from your partners what they really could benefit from. I was fortunate to have a friend share with me a TED video about “Listening before helping”.
Click here. (Ombrigato Basilio). Note I wouldn’t think of watching a youtube video from here with the connection speeds I’m getting. The video is called “Want to help someone shut up and listen” and is worth a watch. Aside from helping me prepare for this assignment, it’s made me think that the idea of asking before helping in international development can be applied to parenting. Our kids are getting to the age where we probably need to start listening to them more about the areas they think they need help in rather than always assuming we know what’s best. Not an easy thing to do, but I can see both of them now reading this now and whispering to themselves “yesssss…….” SmileIt also makes me think of the Sheryl Crowe song where she says “if you want to reach me, leave me alone”. I’m a little like that….not sure why.
In preparing for my mandate in Yako, I tried to improve my french by listening to Radio CBC whenever I was in the car. They have a call sign that plays, it seems every 15 minutes, “Ecouter pour voir” (listen to see).
<<side note>> I love typing these things up outside my room under the morning sky listening to my music>>
I was also introduced to three Waterloo University students studying international development. It was funny after I was left alone, I snuck back to the room they were working in and asked “OK can we talk english now?” It reminded me of being in grade school, where the teacher would say, “hey Mr. Ryan ici, nous juste parle francais!”.

IMG_6246
They were kind enough to invite me to dinner. We walked down the road to a spot that was very dark. As we walked around back they said we were going to eat something called TOT and you eat it with your hands.. Did I mention it was very dark. The food actually comes from another vendor down the road called “TOT ou Tard”. There really isn’t much taste to it. I think the texture is like…jelly-ish bread and or cake. The texture is definitely consistent all the way through. It comes with a sauce. As I said, its very dark, but I can tell you the sauce has leaves in it. I was glad to have something to eat. These student are quite nice. Such an amazing experience at such a young age. I am appreciating their companionship and guidance. I was quite happy to learn from these good souls that SEMUS is considered to be a very reputable organization within their international development community.


It’s also very very dark on the streets roads or paths through town. Aside from the dark, it’s extremely dry and so the dust and sand seems to be constantly suspended in the air. The light from the occasional motor bike, that has a working headlight, dissipates and just creates a glow around the moving vehicle. These bikes are small in size and definitely don’t make allot of noise. At night it’s like walking through a campground with the smell of small fires burning along the side of your route. note: very small fires, wood is not in abundance around these parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment